PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 13th Apr 2008, 14:08
Distant Voice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read Mick Smith's report a number of times, and it is clear that what is being said it that the Nimrod was not safe at the time of the accident, and it still wasn't safe in mid 2007 when the QinetiQ report was published. This is after all the mitigation concerning hot air pipes and SCP being isolated had been taken into consideration.

I suspect that when Des Browne claimed last Dec that the aicraft was safe, the same degree of "spin" was being applied to the word "safe" as was applied to the famous "15 mins threat" from Saddam's rockets. And we all know how that turned out.

If MoD can not conform to the safety rules that they set, based on those outlined by HSE, then I have concerns for those crews who are required to fly Nimrod today. I know there will be cries of "I wouldn't fly if I did not think it was safe", but for God sake start to examine the facts.

Des Browne and CAS decided, last December, to play with the meaning of "safe", because to apply the rules, that they have set, would mean grounding the fleet.

DV