PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Nimrod crash in Afghanistan Tech/Info/Discussion (NOT condolences)
Old 13th Apr 2008, 14:07
JFZ90

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No JFZ90 there is no copy of the QinetiQ report on the TimesOnline site, that is a mistake by whoever put the story up on the website. It is as you surmised the MoD's safety rules and should have been linked as such later in the sentence. I am trying to get it changed. We cannot put a copy of the QQ report on the web because it is copyright controlled and was issued under FOI with a warning that it therefore could not be disseminated.
Thanks for the honest admission. Bit of a contradiction releasing it under FoI (i.e. anyone can do this) and then preventing further dissemination. I assume this is due to a wish to protect QinetiQ IP rather than any MoD imposed limitation.

Now I know why I have been refused these documents under freedom of information. Well done Jimmy Jones for obtaining this report through freedom of information and Mick Smith for publishing this. Absolutley shocking and cruel. RIP Crew 3.
I'm not sure I know the reasons from this why its not been released - it is likely to be due to QinetiQ IP restrictions (noting the "no further dissemination" caveat) rather than any more sinister desire to hide anything, but in this case I would have thought it would actually be helpful to find some solution to publish the report - without visibility of it is hard to judge whether Des has really been misleading as the Times implies - my gut feeling is he has not and it is both a twist on the conclusions of QinetiQs findings, coupled with a misrepresentation of what ALARP really means in this context that has opened up the perception of something misleading having being said. Without seeing the report with my own eyes I'm not convinced that perception is valid.