PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Parachute wings
Thread: Parachute wings
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 12:18
Al R

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The mystique and attraction of badges (especially towards those who aspire so lustily) is an interesting concept. Some unenlightened souls might argue that there’s nothing sadder than seeing a set of airborne soldier WINGS (not BULB) on someone who is not even employed in an infantry role. But I say.. hey, live and let live – after all, if I ever wanted to stand behind a counter dishing out blankets all day, I’d be mightily annoyed if some fellow told me I had to undergo months of demanding training first! So let’s look a little closer and see if we can’t cut the chaps a bit of slack.

"The parachute badge is a mark of distinction and evidence of technical achievement. Every officer and soldier who is a qualified parachutist and is granted the right to wear the badge may, unless deprived of the right, continue to do so even though no longer liable to carry out parachute duties.

To qualify for the award of the parachute badge every parachutist must either:

a. Have made a parachute drop on operations against the enemy.

b. Have successfully completed the appropriate selection course and a basic parachute course at a recognized RAF Parachute Training School and have subsequently been on the posted strength of a unit where he may be ordered in the course of his duties to drop by parachute; or

c. Have successfully completed the appropriate selection course and a basic parachute course at a recognized RAF Parachute Training School without subsequent service in a unit where he may be ordered to parachute in which case qualifications relates to the parachute badge without wings." (aka the 'Lightbulb'.)

So, technically, in order to qualify even for the 'lightbulb' you must do 'the appropriate selection course' which in the Army is P Company, and for the RAF is Pre Para. The only difference between someone who wears the lightbulb and someone who wears the para wings badge is whether or not they have "been on the posted strength of a unit where he may be ordered to drop by parachute". Both should have done exactly the same course, but of course all units have different requirements.

Interesting to ponder now, the business of ‘the role’. Given that even the Parachute Regiment’s airborne infantry role has been decimated, and that the army funds much of the Herc fleet, does the RAF have a secret unit that drops in at the drop of a HAT to dish out duvets and Don 10 under enemy noses? In fact, thinking about it, has any RAF chappie ever deployed by parachute? I’m thinking back to Op Silkman (Yongro DZ), Palliser, Oracle, Telic, Grapple, Herrick.. and I’m scratching my bonce here.. maybe there has been something I’ve missed? I remember too, back in 1995 when II Sqn RAF Regiment’s airborne role was about to become chairborne, the edict was that parachute wings would not be able to be worn. Huh, the fools actually had respect for a concept which went above and beyond their own wishes and aspirations. How daft is that?

But I’m being churlish. I recall seeing an impressive looking chap with USMC wings and Belgique wings too, and basking in lots of admiring glances. Thinking about it, what he didn't know about inventory codes and demand proformas really wasn't worth knowing.. everything in fact, that any airborne infanteer could ever aspire to. So.. if wearing the badge brings happiness to someone who is in a decision making position, then so be it - who are we to deny them a sense of self fullfilment? I’ll always defer to a better level of knowledge and I’d hate to undermine a chap’s human right to wear the badge of his choice.