PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Takeoffs
Thread: A320 Takeoffs
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 10:44
Chris Scott

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Landing Climb

Hi CJ1234,

Without wishing to put words into aulglarse's mouth, I think I know what he was getting at.

If memory serves, "Landing-Climb Limit" refers to the climb gradient achieved during a go-around with one engine shut down. On some twins, this can be limiting; particularly if you are returning for an immediate landing with engine failure, after a take-off at the RTOW.

Suppose you had needed engine-bleeds/packs off to achieve your desired take-off weight, the limiting factor being WAT (second-segment climb gradient). The go-around case must be taken into account. If single-engine climb gradient was limiting for the take-off, it may not be much better in the go-around case. Therefore, it has to be taken into account; i.e., you may need to turn the bleeds off for the approach. [That's where the APU may come in handy.]

Quote from aulglarse:
...as for a go-around, the A320 is never landing climb limited on 2 engines.

Hope it makes more sense now; but perhaps he meant "one engine"?
N.B. - In the absence of any data, I cannot comment on whether "the A320..." is ever landing-climb limited.

PS: On a normal approach into a hot-high airfield, some aircraft types may be more limited by the go-around climb gradient (which has to take an engine failure into account) than by the length of the runway. So on 3 and 4-engine types, the performance graph will stipulate the number of engines being used for the approach, and assume that one of them fails in the go-around.
Maybe that is why aulglarse referred to "two engines"?