PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Reasons why I want to join Emirates
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 09:15
Kenuck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reasons why I want to join Emirates

Hi all,

Over the last six months or so I've been reading all the threads pertaining to EK with a keen interest. Most of the posts have been extremely negative and discouraging - and with good reason sometimes (other times it's just whining ). I thought that I'd put in my two cents worth and explain why I would like to join Emirates.

1) Pay - I currently fly the 777 and get paid the equivalent of 21600 DHS take home a month. From that salary, I have to support my family, pay for my cars, house, utilities etc etc etc - so more money at EK.

2) Inflation - Yes I know the inflation is high in the UAE - where I am it has been at a sustained 20%+ per annum (last month 22%). So, over six years.....well.....you're all smart enough to push the buttons on the calculator!

3) Health care - Where I work, I get a meager health cover. My family are covered for 66,000 DHS per year in-patient treatment and 1,700 DHS per year out-patient. This is for the whole family NOT per person . There is no dental coverage. So I pay $4500 a year to provide my family good medical cover.

4) Traffic - I know that traffic in Dubai can get heavy. Try this on for size though....I live 18kms from the airport and it takes me up to 3 hours each way. Nothing like doing a 9 hour red-eye and then sitting in traffic for 3 hours! I would love to be driven to and from work...ahh....bliss.

5) Schedule - I understand that there have been issues about scheduling of late at EK. Well, where I work I have never had more than 11 days off a month. I don't get to bid on anything, two days before the roster ends I get the next one. I would love 15 days off.

6) Education - I get no allowance for education, if you are like me and want the best for your kids then you want to send them to the best schools. Here that will set you back at least 65,700 DHS per kid per year.

7) Security - I can't over-emphasize this one and feel that I don't really have to elaborate. Needless to say, worrying about the safety of your family when you are overseas is no fun. Not to mention spending 2200 DHS a month on security...

8) Housing - No housing here and my housing allowance is 1700 DHS a month.

Well, there are many more small reasons but I think you guys get the picture. Everything is relative to what you're used to.

Take Care!
Cheers