PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Merged: Nomad Return?
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 06:14
Dixons Cider

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I enjoyed my time sitting in the Gonad -a few quirks, but I enjoyed it all the same. As empacher said, unbeatable for scenic work.

How about the control feedback from the stabilator in turb

From what I understand, the original design philosophy had alot to do with the problems on the Nomad, especially in respect to the empennage area. The original design called for the entire aft end to hinge from the side of the fuse where the taper begins, the whole thing swinging to the side to allow unimpeded loading. As the design progressed the aft swinging tail had to be made lighter and lighter to cope with the swing. The design process was very late in the peice when it was finally decided to can the swing due to aft CG issues. The design basically froze at that point with the exception of the aft fuse being shut never to open again. The control runs etc are still routed down the hinge side of the fuse as they would've been.

So the Nomad we saw was dictated by that original design concept, hence the weight saving stabilator etc. As someone mentioned already, if a conventional empennage of composite construction and comparable weight were to appear on there...Maybe ditch the full span flaperons (awesome STOL idea, but needed in service?), in doing so the complicated spoiler/aileron mixer wouldn't be needed. Some beefed up RR's, some whizz bang weight saving screens up front...

They might be onto something. I'd get in one again.