PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Unpredictable DGCA
View Single Post
Old 13th Apr 2008, 03:27
rdr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DESI PILOT & MD DOG

I see three possible different issues you may be trying to address.

1. The Indian selection process for aviators
2. The DGCA vs FAA
3. The standard of the ICAO pilot vs FAA

Its a boom time for Indian aviation, and, everybody wants a slice of the pie, locals and expats. A lot of locals are venturing into previously unchartered waters, kept deliberately to the purview of a select few. This spells a boom time for flying schools around the world. Most flying schools will accept anyone with the almighty dollar, but the challenge will be for the CARRIERSto employ those with the aptitude. And to weed out those without.

In my opinion, the DGCA needs an overhaul. I do see that they are making changes in the right direction in terms of policy, which is good for the industry. However, the functionality, the day to day running, will take much longer to address.

ICAO vs FAA- there is talent, on both sides, definitely. The real depth of training only shows up when you're out of your comfort zone. Like flying into Central Asia or Africa on a dark night with an engine out, terrain & pissing purple. By virtue of a much wider range of experience operating into far flung regions around the world, as well as exposure to "foreigners" in the cockpit, ICAO.

Now, the can of worms are open.