PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2008, 21:42
RomeoTangoFoxtrotMike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PAXboy
:- of the AAIB who cannot publish an update until they are SURE of what they have found. If they are working on something very serious, then anything less than a full explanation may cause panic in the travelling public. And the airline business is in a bad enough way as it is. If they are thinking of saying, "We have a bunch of ideas - and it could have been any one of them" then that will also cause a bad reaction. They do not 'owe' us anything, until they have something they can say with certainty.
I've just crunched the data on published formal reports by the AAIB back to 2006 (as far back as I could be bothered to go). The average length of time from incident to final report publication is 25.6 months, i.e. a little over two years. This does not and has not stopped them issuing recommendations, where appropriate, before the final report.

I'm quite happy for AAIB to resist the rabid frothing of the news media for sensational information to fill their 24-hour outpourings, and instead concentrate on trying to work out exactly what happened...