PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA planning to relax CPL requirement for instructors
Old 12th Apr 2008, 19:13
TheOddOne

Location: Down at the sharp pointy end, where all the weather is made.
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm told the following and I actually believe it;
Well, no doubt you do, but my reality is completely different.

I got a full-time job with a large school last September. Since then, I've done 200 hours instruction but I've 'only' managed 15 sign-offs. Our CFI and Deputy CFI hold regular 2-3 hour instructor meetings (on rainy mornings) to go through recent flying with various students, using the student notes that we write up as source material (so there had better be some meaningful comments!) Our CFI and deputy CFI have over half a century of instructional experience between them, plenty of help for us tyros! They don't breath over our shoulder all the time, but they do monitor our progress and offer advice.

The form upon which I'm carefully noting my solo sign-offs has a bit on it about the supervising instructor recommending the removal of my restriction; it's still up to the CFI to approve this. I would hope that if they see 25 sign-offs all within a week or so they'll be asking questions and NOT approving the restriction removal.

I'm expecting the process of derestriction to take around 300 hours/10 months which is probably around the time it would have taken to upgrade from AFI to FI in the 'old' days. I'm not being any slower or quicker than my colleagues, we're all taking about the same pace with our sign-offs and flying around the same number of hours. I know that some JAA countries haven't adopted the restriction system, you can send people for their first solo on day one!

Incidentally, we have a further restriction, not included in the letter of the law. We aren't allowed to send students off on their qualifying cross-countries; I think LASORS only talks about 1st solos and 1st solo cross-countries.

Cheers,
TheOddOne