PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Judge warning MoD over equipment
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2008, 19:09
richatom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Perfect kit all the time for all 3 Services? Why have only 80 aircraft on a carrier? Surely 80 000 000 would be much safer. Infantry should have electro-magnetic force fields issued immediately, never mind that the cost would be a trillion trillion pounds!
There have been some cases recently where I think your point is valid. For example, in the case of the Coroner who recently decided that the MOD were at fault for the death of an SAS Captain during HALO training because they "failed to provide £50 radios". Surely the officer had done his static line course beforehand, and surely it was drummed into his bone to check his canopy, and pull the reserve if in the slightest doubt? I don't understand at all why he should need an experienced soldier on the ground to take a decision like that for him. During my static-line course at Brize Norton it was absolutely drummed into us to pull the cord if we had the slightest doubt, and we were never bollocked for pulling it prematurely (which happened occasionally). I did a few freefall jumps too with Danish jaegertruppe and it was no different there. I have no experience of current UK HALO training though so perhaps somebody might put me right on that.

But I do agree with Coroners verdicts in most of the other cases, which have usually revolved around body armour. If commanders on the ground decide that body armour is required, then everybody should have it. If there are not enough resources for everybody to have it, then the politicos should not have overridden ground commanders and the troops should not have been there.