PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OK, another PPL in the USA question...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2002, 23:21
englishal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Monocock,. .. .I'm not slagging off people who fly at "Radio" airfields, there are many good fields out there, and many good pilots, and I'm sorry that you feel offended...My point is that people shouldn't slag off the FAA and US system, when they themselves are lacking in a different type of experience, and haven't experienced flying in the US.. .. .As for supporting the UK system, when they start supporting me, ie. by not charging the earth to fly from A to B for lunch, then I might be a bit more sympathetic towards these poor impoverished clubs and schools. . .. .I enjoy flying in the UK, and would like to do more of it...BUT...I bought a ticket to LA a few days ago, £260 return inc tax. My local flying club charges in excess of £100 per hour for a PA28, and as I'm not rich enough to afford my own aircraft, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to work out that if I want to fly more than a couple of hours, its cheaper for me to jet off to LA where aircraft rental is $75 (£50ish) per hour for a better A/C, no landing fees etc....Thats whats killing GA in the UK, the high charges imposed on us, putting GA out of the reach of 'normal' people.