PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OK, another PPL in the USA question...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2002, 17:22
Julian

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think what EA is talking about is a common complaint the instructors in the US have about UK pilots who come over having completed their PPL. I dont think it is intended to say 'dont fly from radio airfields' - in fact my two closest are radio fields. . .. .The problem in the US is if students have trained in a radio field they seem to have a lot of trouble grasping talking to Tower & TRACON is the US, again its just a matter of practice. Having learnt at a busy airport I have gotten used to it, I found radio fields a bit 'weird' when I first used them but you just get used to it. I am quite happy using any and I dont think it was meant as a knock at GA airfields in general.. .. .I do agree with EA that their are bad instructors/schools in the UK, I had hassle with one which now is no more - nuff said! The standard of training in the US is overall very high but you will get 'bad eggs'. I found just talking to the instructors they will tell you where are good places to hire from and where to avoid.. .. .Julian.