PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - OK, another PPL in the USA question...
View Single Post
Old 3rd Mar 2002, 05:52
mad_jock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
As a Fl graduate as well i can see where the additional training needed comes from.. .. .If you learn in 21 days things go great as long as you continue to fly as soon as you get back. . .. .Problems occur when you let things stand for a couple of months waiting for the caa to do there admin stuff. By this point you have slipped abit back down the motor skills learning curve and it is different landing in 10 deg C with a stonking xwind with little choice of active compared to 35 deg with a huge runway to choose from most directions.. .. .Also i would disagree with the line that all FAA instructors are crap. It is very dependent on the CFI of the school and what he sets as the standard for the school. which is exactly the same as for the UK.. .. .As a personal recomendation Gerald at Naples taught me multi and because i came prepared with the jar syllabus (which they already had) and UK multi engine theory books things went great. He actually bought them off me so he could improve his knowledge of the jar course.. .. .I did it the hard way and sat the exams over there and it is bloody hard work if your not into studying. I would leave nav until you start doing it for real. And don't let the FAA lads con you into doing wind up method on the wiz wheel. If you can get yur hands on a pooleys workbook or oxford gen nav notes before you go it will save you alot off hassel later on.. .. .And Julian unfortunatly there are more than a few bad eggs over there who give the others a bad name. I must admit i didn't get briefed to UK FI standards ( i am currently doing the ground school for FI myself) i didn't realise it until i started the FI course. But there is no excuse for not reading thom about the exercise before you do it.. .. .Good luck. .. .MJ