PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2008, 12:53
ASU.ORK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

The reality that is now sinking in is that Cork has a huge financial challenge ahead. All of the options will inevitably be looked at. The most painless one is to start an aggressive marketing campaign aimed at making Cork the first choice for people in South Leinster and much of Munster.
Marketing Campaign yes would be a good idea but this should of been constantly done over the last 3 years. Maybe we could of replaced the 7 airlines who ended services in Cork.. But the confidence in the Chairman, CX and Marketing manager is not there. Across the company there is serious concern at their ability or should i say lack of ability to run the airport full stop.

The 2nd more painful solution is to look at costs and compare them to other airports. I'm afraid the days of a job in a state airport being a well paid cushy number are at an end. I'm not referring here to the hard working staff in ASU departments and other frontline positions.
Realistically the streamlining of the management in the airport will never happen.. Staffing levels in Cork barely cover the main departments such as the ASU, APFS and other front line positions. The company has already started to make changes to staff allocation by introducing agency workers to Duty Free and leaving some of the casual staff go over the next few weeks.

It now appears that the Minister will not after all be in a position to underwrite the financial position of the board according to local media reports.
It's not that the Minister wil not be in a position to underwrite the financial position of the board, it is he won't and has also said he will not provide any future money for the airport at any stage.. Yet he gave over 140million this year to regional airports around the country, double standards come to mind.

This will inevitably mean that privatisation will loom if the above mentioned measures don't work.
It is not if but more like WHEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!