PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Working out the crosswind component
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2008, 10:31
finncapt

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On approach, are you interested in the x-wind or the wind vector which gives you the maximum allowable/demonstrated x-wind for the runway in use?

When on Budgies in the Scottish Isles (and DC10 at bermuda), I used to write a wind table, for each ten degrees, giving this wind vector. That way I knew if I was within the limit.

It was sometimes useful to tell (ask) the controller to give no further wind checks after receiving one within limits.
A wind above the demonstrated limit was acceptable if everything felt right, whereas on other occasions I have gone around when the x-wind was within limits because turbulence made the aircraft almost uncontrollable.

A particular problem with a strong x-wind at 90 (or there about) degrees to the runway can be the along runway component.

Sumburgh 09/27 (15/33 not available at night) is a case in point.

A small change in wind direction can, with a strong northerly, cause the wind to come around the other side of Fitful Head giving an unexpected and sudden tailwind on landing despite the reported wind appearing to be a headwind
There is not much tarmac left if you land (three reds and a white and little or no flare - my technique at Sumburgh at night) with an 18kt tailwind on 09 !!
Cost me several beers to the firecrew in the helicopter club that night!!