PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPPL
Thread: NPPL
View Single Post
Old 21st Mar 2002, 23:40
Tocsin

Received 34 Likes on 5 Posts
Query,. .. .Flying is (relatively) complicated and can be dangerous - but so is driving a vehicle.. .. .Why, when all I have trained and passed my test in is a four-seater hatchback, am I allowed to take 15 people in a minibus down a packed motorway at high speed? And I can do this - within the DVLA medical standards - "regardless of competence or experience or critical illness"!. .. .The proposed medical standard for the NPPL is _higher_ than the private driver licence. My argument that for private, non-commercial flying the JAR-PPL medical standard is out of kilter - see paragraph above.. .. .As for competence and experience, the training and testing for NPPL should be of the same standard, I for one would expect this.. .. .I may be wrong, and if so I apologise, but I detect a whiff of elitism in the argument. the trouble with elites is that they self-select and get smaller in number with time - a bit like the GA pilot population over the last half-century, despite the increasing affluence of the population...