PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 'Just Culture'
Thread: 'Just Culture'
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2008, 09:20
Spitoon

If the statistics don't reflect the true situation, then the Systemic problems aren't being identified.
I think we are in danger of making too many assumptions here - or at least going beyond a reporting/just culture. Having a good reporting system will make the organisation aware...aware of where there are weaknesses in the system, where things are going wrong and, if there's a really good safety culture, perhaps supported by effective safety surves etc., where things might go wrong in the future.

What is done with this knowledge is another matter. It is possible to have good reporting but to fail to use it in an effective manner. Analysing the problems and identifying the systemic weaknesses...and then taking effective action to address them is a whole other matter!

On a slightly different point, I've seen people who believe that every failure is systemic, i.e. no one individual is at fault. For individuals working that environment it may be comforting to know that you'll never carry the can if things go wrong - but is that a Just Culture?