PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 12th Apr 2008, 08:43
ryan2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cork Debt

The reality that is now sinking in is that Cork has a huge financial challenge ahead. All of the options will inevitably be looked at. The most painless one is to start an aggressive marketing campaign aimed at making Cork the first choice for people in South Leinster and much of Munster.

Too much business has been lost in recent years and the I.T. charters are also stagnant.

The 2nd more painful solution is to look at costs and compare them to other airports. I'm afraid the days of a job in a state airport being a well paid cushy number are at an end. I'm not referring here to the hard working staff in ASU departments and other frontline positions.

Some years ago Aerlingus pensioned off a whole tier of middle managment and the difference was hardly noticable.

It now appears that the Minister will not after all be in a position to underwrite the financial position of the board according to local media reports.

This will inevitably mean that privatisation will loom if the above mentioned measures don't work.