PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - NPPL
Thread: NPPL
View Single Post
Old 9th Mar 2002, 20:02
Irv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FNG refers to the seminar where we discussed the NPPL (from a previously qualified PPL's point of view) and as he says, at that seminar, there was no great reason for anyone there to want to convert to an NPPL. However, at other seminars, one or two attendees (generally the older ones) have decided to change as soon as they can - the main thing is getting the info across so informed decisions can be made by those who might benefit. For me, that's not the guy in the street looking for a 'cheaper' route to a first PPL. (I doubt if anyone will beat South Africa for that the moment, the way the Rand has collapsed). From my side, I see real benefit being to cut the costs and prolong active flying for a certain proportion of the current GA population. . .I expect quite a number of 'for fun' pilots at my airfield currently on JAR medicals will welcome the opportunity to convert to an NPPL. It fits exactly the sort of flying they do, and they gain in at least 2 ways - the revalidation 12 hours in the final 12 months of 2 years will be divided into 6 per year, which they will prefer, and the medical will be cheaper. I assume that in the very first year the older ones will be able to save whatever licence application fee is finally decided, just by swapping from an annual JAR medical cost to an NPPL one. They'll be the same people with the same skills, they won't suddenly become 'dangerous' with a different licence.