PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AFCO Selection Interview
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2008, 23:36
WolvoWill

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The AFCO selection interview is fairly laid back I would say, having had one a couple of weeks ago (and passing). The questioning is not too intense or probing, nor does it go into great depth - that is (so I am told ) saved for OASC at Cranwell.

This does not mean preparation isn't required though - know your trade, where and what the RAF has (basing and aircraft in the UK and overseas, and the roles of each), and broad current affairs knowledge is useful - not just news relating to defence. For example I ended up being asked for my opinion on the Madelaine McCann case!

Advice I would offer, based upon my own experience of how I feel my interview went, and feedback I received immediately afterwards - memorise the years when you did things, as recalling them on the spot can be hard even though you know what order you did things, and may remember them more by school than calendar years! Saying 'when I was in year 12 at school I did....' comes across as rather less professional and mature than 'in 2003 I was involved in x activity...'.

Speak clearly and try to be expressive - in an interview situation you are invariably faced with a somewhat un-natural and slightly forced conversation, and this can be reflected in your body language and monotonous speech patterns. I was also told that a West Midlands accent does not necessarily help this - unlucky for me!

The interview debrief is important though, and take heed of the recommendations made - just because you pass this stage doesn't mean you can't improve things and learn/do extra things which will favour you when it comes to the OASC interview.