PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2008, 23:26
Tom the Tenor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With the economy slowing up the way it is I think an expected growth rate of 5 to 6 per cent at the airport for this year would be quite tolerable in some respects. Agreed, if Budapest, Warsaw and Krakow had not been lost there would be more space for a higher overall year end figure.

Whether the expected 5 or 6 per cent growth for this year is enough to help fund the loan repayments of 4 to 5 million Euros on the Euro 113 million debt is another question but if more borrowings have to be entered into just to fund day to day non capital operations that will be a siutation that will not be tolerated for too long and at that point the ugly monster on the other side of the door, that is, a proposed sell off to the private sector may come in to play? I should imagine that is what may be of most concern to the present staff working at Cork? It is hard to see the government providing any sort of comfort to airport staff in this regard in spite of whatever references are in the airport board's press release. The government are not going to go down that road at all!

Brian, if you think Cork is bad now or in the last 19 years that you speak of you should see what it was like around 30 years ago. It was like a graveyard with lights it was so depressing and as for litter I have had reason to be in Oliver Plunkett Street, Cork on three of the last four days and hand on heart it was pretty decent looking. Now, if you want to check litter out I should respectfully recommend that you take a look around some of the districts around north London and compare that with what you have seen in Cork and let us know then what you think.

Large amounts of capital both public and private have been invested in Cork over the last 10 years or so and most of these developments have served Cork well - the tunnel, the N25 ring road, the flyover at Kinsale Road Roundabout, the new maternity hospital, the massive transforming regeneration of Blackpool, the ongoing redevelopment of the city centre around Patrick Street, the latest being the demolition of the area between Academy Street and Patrick Street, the Coalquay development, the numerous new appartment and office blocks etc. If anything there is now a lack of green field spaces like parks in the city and suburbs.

Cork is getting there and I believe you are being a tad overcritical with your comments.

However, this is but a distraction to us to the issue of the airport and last night's decision by the Cork boards. Who gains most from Cork taking on Euro 113 million of debt? The Dublin Airport Authority and there is also a benefit to Shannon - Cork will have little cash available for more infrastructural growth with an eye on the future towards the Atlantic and snn will continue to be looked on as the prinicipal gateway in the south of the country for flights to America.