PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - ppl in scotland
Thread: ppl in scotland
View Single Post
Old 26th Feb 2002, 12:52
ianbishop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Have flown from Fife International (mustn't call it Glenrothes these days ) - seems a reasonably run, friendly place with reasonable number of aircraft that seem quite well maintained. My only gripe with Fife (after moving here a year ago from Bournemouth) is that the runway count / width / length is a bit low for my liking!!! The approach from the east is also a bit unnerving, having to do a 'jink' at around 400ft to avoid overflying housing est.

I've flown out of Perth a couple of times and quite like it, as it's a triangular field with plenty of options in the event of crosswinds, which probably improves it as a training field.

I've not flown out of Prestwick (have been there on the ground), but would probably recommend you learn at a 'big' airport, as it improves your confidence to juggle for landing slots / circuit position with 'heavies' and improves your RT a lot quicker. There's also a bit more room for touch and goes and the odd landing 'boo boo'.

Other alternate could be Cumbernauld - I believe they do fixed wing PPL training there, although it's again a single, narrow runway operation.

As for free flying, I'll add you to the waiting list!!!

Any further info reqd, drop an email to me.

[Edited for typos}

[ 26 February 2002: Message edited by: CircuitBasher ]</p>