PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CORK - 5
Thread: CORK - 5
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2008, 21:25
brian_dromey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Speaking as someone who lives in Cork city, I find that statement quite offensive. What about St. Finbarre's Cathedral, the old Cork Gaol, the Crawford and Glucksman Art Galleries. Within easy reach of the city are the famous Blarney Stone in Blarney, the Queenstown visitor centre in Cobh (last port of call for the Titanic), Fota House at Fota as well as the Jameson Distillery at Midleton. Cork had a litter problem in the past but that has improved hugely in the past few years.
Well having lived in Cork for 19 years before I moved away to college and now living away from Cork for almost two years but returning frequently I feel Im in a reasonably good position to say what I did. Cork has a few attractions, but is horrifically expensive. Cork is 100% absolutely filthy dirty the litter problem has not been resolved. Look at Oliver Plunkett street, its just been repaved and already its shamefully filthy. Shopping is limited in Cork and the surrounding area, there are a limited number of restaurants and bars, and all they are missing is balaclavas. Service is terrible across the board. I think if I visited Cork I would be sorely disappointed. Do we in Cork care? No. There is a "yeara tis grand" attitude around this town which is sickening and a lack of ambition vision and drive which is truly astounding.

Truly the airport is the best thing Cork has as well as one of the finest pieces of architecture in the area, along with the school of music and new City Hall. Hopefully today is the beginning of a new chapter in the history of Cork airport, and hopefully it can help Cork to grow and develop into the town it should and could be. Ultimately, if ORK does become a loss making entity the government will either have to pay up, or sell it off to the private sector. Neither of which is an awfully bad outcome.