PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Where are DHL getting their pilots from?
View Single Post
Old 11th Jul 2001, 13:00
Wet Power

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tilli

The reason for this post is my doubts as to DHLs recruitments motives. I would desperately like someone to prove me wrong.

Four months after the advert in 'Flight' DHL have raised the sum total (it seems) of 12 type rated 757 pilots. These people seem to be, as expected, ex BA or the odd inividual from the charters. We are informed of no non type rated (but well qualified) pilots being interviewed. This may, or may not, be true. If it IS the case that non type rated are being interviewed then it is in small numbers.

DHL should have got the message by now that they will not get many more 757 drivers under the present deal. Therefore they must accept that they are going to have to type rate EC licensed people on to the 757. This doesn't seem to be anywhere near happening yet.

I would dearly love to see EC non type rated, but experienced, pilots start to be interviewed and selected as this would open up the bottom step of the ladder for the hundreds of qualified people who don't have the experience and are desperate for their first position. I know many people in this position and you only have to look at the 'Wannabees' section to prove the point.

I do not want to see non UK/EU pilots operating for DHL (or any other UK company) where that company has gone to the DoT pleading that they cannot find sufficiently qualified EU crews for the operation and therefore need to employ pilots from outside the EU. It will probably start another thread but the example of 67 US pilots flying for JMC this summer infuriates me when I know of several UK pilots, competent and capable, who cannot get their first job.

I would desperately like DHL to prove me wrong.