PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LHR T5 ... long-haul
View Single Post
Old 11th Apr 2008, 14:02
Flitefone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who's picking up the pieces?

Errrr, last time I checked, LHR was a BAA Airport, T5 was a BAA facility with baggage, signage etc all provided by BAA (although I do know there was a joint BA/BAA deal for the IT networks) .... so why do we keep seeing WW on TV apologising and not the head of the BAA?

BA is the customer, BAA is the provider, WW should be throwing down the gauntlet to get BAA to up their game pronto! ...which no doubt he is doing behind the scenes, but its BA thats getting all the stick..

Can you imagine the fireworks at BAA if Michaeol O'Leary was the customer!?

BA for sure have screwed up their planning and post operation logistics, but thank goodness they have had the sense to defer the long haul transfer. But it's BAA management that should be taking more of the heat and to quote Mr O'Leary who has even issued a press release on the topic post T5, 'its time to break up the London airport monopoly' I agree we need to get some proper competition and service enhancements underway..

Excellent piece in The Times the other day pushing for big user price hikes at LHR as a means of reducing demand and getting the airport back to working within its capacity... worth a read, but unlikley to find favour at BA.

Either way LHR today is full to busrting and cannot cope with any irregular operation, whether snow, strikes, security scares or logistics failures, runway or taxiway outages etc etc...How many time s has BA cancelled significant slices of its short haul operation over the last year for one or more of these reasons ?? I reckon one day in twenty affected.

Best avoid if at all possible!

FF

Last edited by Flitefone; 11th Apr 2008 at 14:04. Reason: spelling