PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 11th Apr 2008, 11:15
Wee Weasley Welshman

Received 224 Likes on 86 Posts
The jury on their model is still out, and cannot be compared to Oasis and MAXjet in any way.

Apart from being a start up airline trying to undercut the legacy carriers on price whilst offering an alternative to their Business or First products. The mechanics of it are irrelevant. Whatever - a rip roaring success it does not appear to be.

When all these fully qualified spammed up experienced Captains and FOs hit the market when countless number of airlines hit the wall over the next 2 years does this really mean the end to newbie recruitment??

In every other downturn it has. I would concede that it might be different this time. Most airlines have come up with the idea that a FO can be recruited and persuaded to pay for his own type rating either up front or via a loan and reduced salary. They are often then tied to the airline, in debt and get paid less. They can't afford to leave and they are cheap labour. It MIGHT be the case that these employees will be more attractive than experienced rated guys newly unemployed who would qualify for full rate renumeration and would have career options as soon as the industry recovered. Its a thought. Not a nice one for anyone worried that their airline might be on shaky financial ground... they might find themselves being a less attractive recruit than a cadet. We shall just have to wait and see. Which we will.

Whatever happens there will be jobs going and I am going to do my best to get one of them. The more wannabes who are so uncommitted as to be put off by the doom and gloom of people like WWW the better

Whatever happens?! What about a Depression on the scale of the 1930's? In the 1990's recession you could not get a job for love nor money in this country and many had to go to the four corners of the earth to find one at any price.

Again people choose to label me Mr Doom & Gloom as if to imply its a personality trait that can be perhaps disregarded. If I'm on approach to say Barcelona and there is a wall of thunderstorms ahead. There is a CB over the field the wind is gusting to the maximum crosswind and the runway is under standing water. The night is dark and its rough as old boots. The first Alternate weather is worse than forecast and out of limits. The second alternate is filling up rapidly with diversions from Barcelona and it ain't sunny there either. My weather radar is a wall of red and magenta and the last two aircraft have gone around on approach but three got in during the last 20 minutes.

Am I Captain Doom & Gloom if I brief the pax that the approach will be rough and that a go around and diversion is a distinct possibility? Getting the cabin secure early and reviewing the fuel policy and windshear go-around with the FO is just scaremongering him right? Working out the actual below legal fuel for a distant bolt hole runway with good weather is just pointless speculation yes?

NO. In the job to which Wannabes aspire you are paid to consider the worst case, the most likely case and the inbetween AND then make a good judgement call. My posts on this topic serve merely as the weather radar, the ATIS and the Ops Manual.

They are things to be considered.