PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA set to claim siginifcant damages from BALPA for 'damage to its reputation & brand'
Old 11th Apr 2008, 10:31
Capt Pit Bull

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is really nothing to do with salaries.

It is about a work force that has no faith in its management.

It is about worker force that feels disempowered from being able to work effectively due to cost cutting.

For myself, I used to feel like someone that was able to solve problems and by so doing (a) deliver a service to the customers (b) operate safely and efficiently and hence (c) allow the company to make a profit.

But after several years of working for BA, I realised I no longer solved problems, but rather simply had to endure them.

I notice several people offering the point of view that pilots don't know anything about being a CEO and should therefore not qualified to have an opinion on how the business is run. This is a pathetic point of view.

At a very basic level, anyone in an organisation should try to have at least an outline understanding of the roles filled by others. But besides that, and much more to the point, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. The workforce can *see* they are mismanaged, because the effects are right there in front of them.

Most of my former colleagues at BA are hard working, dedicated and intelligent, and more than capable of surviving, and prospering, without BA. Its only the stupid seniority system, endemic in this industry, that puts people in golden handcuffs and allows BA to retain its pilot workforce.

BA needs to actually engage its work force instead of treating them like the enemy. There's only so long you can do that before people start reciprocating, and thats what is happening now.

pb

Last edited by Capt Pit Bull; 11th Apr 2008 at 10:37. Reason: finger trouble