PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Air Niugini to lease E190
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 22:54
Sharpie

Retired Tiger pilot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TURBO TOOL

Hi Turbtool.

In answer to your first question. No I am not and in respect to the second comment, as my good pal Quixote said, “Que sera sera!

As you can see by my username, for many years if I wanted to say something, I invariably put my hand up to be counted not hiding behind a nom de plume, or false address. So be it.

As far as trying to unravel the reasons why or causes of all the prangs over the past ten or so years, I would not even try. I have no inclination to and will leave that duty to those who are employed to do so. As far as a shortage of funds, I recall a DAS years ago who would charter aircraft, buy tickets and gear as necessary on his credit card to complete an investigation. That shows dedication for a public servant above and beyond the call of duty!. Never got a ‘gong’ maybe never got too many thanks either; just went his merry way to try and find the truth and facts as to what caused a prang.

I do believe that one primary object of accident/incident investigation is not to apportion blame against an individual(s) unless suicide is involved, but to try and find the facts so that hopefully, occurrences of a similar nature may be reduced in the future. Sadly, even with many years of CRM training since the good old TAA ATM days, we still read of over-runs, undershoots, CFIT, plus many others.

It does appear that even today when the holes line-up in the Swiss cheese, the inevitable may happen. When the wreckage come to rest, the fault may not rest with those in the sharp end, but may started years before due non-standard sops by a multitude of people.