PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA038 (B777) Thread
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 18:01
Bis47

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gliding considerations

After this one, I'll stop!

Thank You FullWings for showing some interest in piloting techniques considerations.

Originally Posted by FullWings
the engines were still producing significant thrust [...] This would have had quite an effect on the optimum speed to fly (whatever that was...).
Not significantly : Except for the wind, flying a jet at best L/D always provide the best angle ... whatever the thrust available. Best angle of climb, or lesser angle of descent. In a given configuration, flying best glide is simply flying minimum drag (in that configuration).

Originally Posted by FullWings
Agreed, but in the context of this particular accident, I don't see much training value. A slight change of circumstances might lead to a very different method to achieve an "optimal" outcome; there's not much point in training for a 1x10-9 scenario when your resources are limited and you want to achieve the best "bang for your buck".
Sure, there are priorities in training ... Shame on me ... I didn't care about dual engine failures when I was in charge, I have to admit. But today I would hate to be left without any information regarding this kind of situation. Or to let pilots of my company without any hints.

How much training is at shake? Some lectures, one hour in the sim, demonstrating typical situations ... Replaying the sequence of BA38 uses less than two minutes of sim time. That should be enough to get the facts ... No need of course to demonstrate 100% success in order to get a "pass" ...

Perhaps some kids are now becoming champions at that game on MS Flight Sim ... (Do not underhestimate the value of that king of cheap simulation ... as far as I know, some aircraft models are quite realistic, and the sofware is excellent)

Let us hope that dual engine failure never become "business as usual".

But the scenario leading to the discovery of an engine failure in short final is already quite standardized - CDA it is. After all, facing a lack of engine responsiveness at the very end of flight is the result of a standard CDA scenario : using idlle power (or so) from top of descent, the trouble, if any, will show up very late. Almost allways at the same point, i-e somewhere between 500 and 1000 ft AGL if pilots and ATC really work at it ...

Nowaday, I guess there is some stress in a 777 cockpit at the end of a perfect job done during a CDA ... Idlle thrust or so from top of descent, feeling the need for aditionnal thrust only a couple of milles towards touchdown. Will the engines spool up? Are there spooling up fast enough? Let us keep an eye on them, make sure they don't roll back! Keep on, threshold coming soon! Finally !

I guess that 777 crews todays are a little more suspicious about low temperatures, icing messages, exotic jet fuels and ... perfect CDAs ...

Any volunteer to replay flight BA38? Exactly, I mean, in the real world.

Good flights, Gentlemen!