PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMCR numbers going down
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 17:12
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But the bulk ~ 99%? Not likely. Most PPLs don't do any significant European touring.
I am sorry IO, a couple of years ago I would have agreed with you but it just not true. Do not underestimate the rise in capability and will of the new permit generation flyers. I have a whole new respect for them.

You are right I rarely fly VFR, it's to much like hard work and I am all to often on a schedule but that does not mean I am going to agree that long trips can't and are not being done VFR. These modern aircraft have great range, great economy, glass cockpits with state of the art GPS and they are being used.

As I mentioned before, there are 10 of us going to Sweden this month, I am th only IR holder and will be taking the easy way and going in 2 legs, the rest of the guys will be VFR. Te flyer trip to Berlin is a huge trip in May, I bet there are only a few of us IR holders.

Our Morocco trip in June/July I will be the only IFR pilot.

Times are changing.

However this does nothing to alleviate my view that we are being forced down a two tier system that will bit us in the bum later.