PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BA Management (Split From T5 Thread)
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 16:06
markrl

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
“Raise prices. Add service. Stop transporting Chavs to places they don't have the brains to appreciate at prices that are less than the FULL COST of whats' being provided without cross subsidies. To do otherwise, relying on marginal costing, has always been a recipe for disaster in any and every industry it's been tried”.

Unfortunately none of this is ever going to happen you can’t put the clock back 40 years to 1968, the world has changed and moved on since the golden age of BOAC. Cheap flights with little service are here because there is a market demand. Even this tax greedy Government has so far shied away from hitting the airlines with fuel duty for fear of the political consequences, however much they would like to (yep nowadays even Chav’s have the vote). The alternative would be that flying was only for the rich and those on business. The result would inevitably be a much smaller airline industry. I don’t think many on this forum would be calling for that somehow. I doubt even Willie Walsh and Co would be dumb enough to take the commercial suicide route of only high prices. I’m not advocating everyone follow the Ryan Air model but neither do I believe the BOAC one would work in 2008. Times have changed.