PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BO105 fatal accident back in 2006(?)
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 14:42
Overdrive

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Quote:
Maintaining constant airspeed well within performance limits in a relatively gradual turn with lift to spare is one thing, and I agree with you... wind direction makes no difference
Can you show us the math formula for that situation please?

I was of the assumption that aircraft in level flight balanced weight/drag against Lift/thrust.
SASless.... I mean here this type of turn can be made with no effective difference (gain/loss) in the airspeed with regard to wind direction, in answer to previous posts of the "aircraft sees no difference in wind/airspeed" point of view (and no, not supplying the formula!)

This is dragging on alright. I will say again for the final time, that during a turn like that in question, airspeed is LOST. So upwind/downwind DOES matter.

From DennisK post No. 22:-

I know that on one of the occasions I experienced the problem was when I failed to achieve the correct 'gate' speed for a 270 degree 'wing-over' following a 'toward the crowdline' level approach into a stiff breeze.

In the second half of the 270 degree heading change - the resultant tailwind significantly slowed the recapture of translation lift. The unexpected loss of immediate cyclic response and loss of height gave me more than a second of concern.

I now don't do 'into wind' display wing overs without an extra margin of 'gate' height and speed for the manoeuvre entry.
...perfectly described by someone who has been there... this is what I am saying; airspeed at the exit of the turn.

If anyone can prove to me that a turn like that in question can be made with no loss of airspeed, i.e., constant airspeed throughout the turn, I'll retract everything I've said.