PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BO105 fatal accident back in 2006(?)
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 12:11
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B105 accident

Hi again,

I see that an earlier post has suggested that nothing 'constructive' by way of instruction is coming out of this discussion. True.

So may I add this to my notes. If the video of the BK 105's final manoeuvre is studied, it reveals that from the level position, Hoffman first 'rolled' right and then applied aft cyclic to climb. My display experience tells me - THAT IS THE WRONG SEQUENCE.

For a pull up manoeuvre from anything less than 100 feet, aft cyclic must be used first, then followed by cyclic roll, albeit at the higher speeds of a run-in, uncorrected disc flap back is usually sufficient to obtain the required steep 'nose-up' attitude.

What is an absolute 'no-no' is to set up a high angle of bank with insufficient collective to provide the thrust vector required to maintain height, especially at low level. I've actually watched two helicopters do this and strike the ground.

And regarding the upwind/downwind and inertia ... the situation is exactly as I outlined in the original post.

An odd thought that may help the dis-believers, (and there shouldn't be any if they hold a flying licence!) ... I was just this morning watching a recording of a Japanese Richter 7 earthquake taken from an office mounted CCTV.

The earth was shaking and reciprocating some 30 cms back & forth quite rapidly. Guess what. The PC monitor and the larger photo copiers weren't moving as the ground they sat on flapped around. I think its called inertia ... and its relative to space!

More fuel for the bon fire perhaps?

Good and safe flying to all,

Dennis K.