PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMCR numbers going down
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 10:29
Rod1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bose x

I am impressed; you have come a long way in the last 18 months…

In the 90’s most of the club fleets were IFR equipped; now this is not the case. Even if the kit is fitted, it is old and often not operational. This may be less true south of Watford, but it is up here.

In recent times the CAA has somewhat rubbished the IMCR. More recently still the EASA uncertainty has struck. A surprising number of PPL’s think the IMCR has already gone, or is about to vanish so no point in doing it. By comparison my French PPL contacts would love to get one.

Serious VFR touring as part of flying for fun does not require an IMCR. Oddly there is an increasing pressure to not fit VFR only aircraft with adequate kit to “survive” in IMC. The VFR rules are very flexible, but you do need some kit and some training if you are going to fly near the VFR minima. To brand all VFR touring pilots as bandits who all fly illegal IFR legs is crap. The accident statistics show this is either not happening, or we are all so good at it that none of us has got it wrong for the last few years.

Back to the IMCR.

15% of the LAA has an IMCR (this is a significant number)
EASA are trying to kill it off.
The club fleet is becoming unsuitable.
The number of new aircraft which are VFR only is rising fast and getting faster.
The number of renewals is falling to a negligible level.

I am a big fan of the IMCR, but Given the above it is highly unlikely to survive, unless EASA reintroduce it as a “European” idea.

Rod1