PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Jabiru Pilots/Owners
View Single Post
Old 24th Jan 2002, 21:08
ianhogg

Talking

Hi, I've just converted a chap on to his jab ul. .(he previously had a shadow and before that a Rans S6), I normally teach on Chevvrons so it was a bit of a learning curve for both of us.. .Two thoughts , I agree whole heartedly with Ghengis. .you want lashings of airspeed on the approach as this will both give you a bit of stored kinetic. .energy to cope with any unexpected gradient,(All microlights are like chucking a ball of paper across the room, they lose energy very fast in comparison to the heavy metal thats why they can land so short) so while you are getting the hang of it an absolute min of 60 over the hedge. Put a tippex mark on the asi so you just have to glance at it not think. . .The second big advantage of speed is it gives the piffling little rudder some authority (it needs all the help it can get on landing). We found setting the a/c up wing down at 60 with a couple of hundred feet to go let us settle the a/c and the pilots brain so as to avoid overcontrolling in the hold off as it needed a surprisingly delicate touch on the elevator in the final stages and lots of toe work . so we found approach fast, land slow and wing down and the a/c settled the last 200 ft.. .On the other hand I may be talking utter balls and we just got lucky. . .Pip Pip.