PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - IMCR numbers going down
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 09:19
S-Works

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Where have you read this, bose x? It's categorically not what the #1 man in charge told me personally earlier this year.
I have read it in the FCL001 report sat on the desk in front of me. The number one man in charge may have told you something earlier in the year but that is not currently the situation, but I am impressed how your one man road show has direct access to the commissioner. Currently removal of the requirement for the CPL exams has gone through, but the proposal for renumerated FI's on a PPL currently only applies to the LAPL and the term used for these people is LAFE.

There is a drift towards permit types, quite a strong one, but that just means the pilots are flying IMC enroute if necessary.
Flying enroute illegally in IMC you mean in an aircraft restricted to DAY VFR ONLY flight?

I think schools are still pushing the IMCR hard as a rating because it is a revenue stream. As I said before I think GA is seeing a step change towards the lighter end which is VFR only for recreational purposes. Pilots can fly the old classics and the permit types on nothing more than a PPL with a two year revalidation. Simple and cheap.

While you and I will cling onto our IR Ratings for grim death due to the type of flying we do, most people are not interested in the time and financial commitments that even an IMC entails for the limited legal use they get in these types.