PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK B777 Upgrade Delayed
View Single Post
Old 10th Apr 2008, 05:15
Gulf News

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a case of reaping what you sow and weakness in the recruitment department some three/four years ago is coming home to roost. AAR removed the Pilot recruitment manager and replaced him with a very pleasant but totally useless TAT who subsequently retired. During his tenure the bar was dropped significantly and training were the first witnesses to the drop in quality.

A lot of the pilots recruited during that period were ok First Officers given a bit of training, but needed a lot of work when it came to promotion. The training department was then denied the resources to deal with the extra training required so these guys were allowed to muddle along. Admittedly weaknesses should have been picked up during re-currents and ALCs but with the the training department under pressure a lot would have been allowed to slip past in the "minimum acceptable" category. Statements like " it wasn't pretty but I guess it was safe" were common amongst trainers.

I am not in any way condoning a system where an individual is judge and jury with regard to a colleagues career however someone has to have the balls to stand up ensure that the training departments strained recourses are not further wasted on an upgrade candidate who isn't up to the task.

As a TRI of many years I would probably struggle to concisely answer some of the questions asked at the interviews but I would be able to put together a convincing case as to why I need not have that particular information on instantaneous recall. There is no excuse however for not being prepared. The guys know what is coming so should get in the books and do some ground work. Being an SFI, TRI, TRE does not immunize anyone from any requirements, in fact that individual should be expected to perform to a higher standard.

Additionally it appears that there have been a number of incidents on the line that none of us are privy to which has caused the word to come from above that we cannot afford to have weak captains in the airline. This has caused a tightening all round which although a knee jerk reaction is well overdue. I hope this level of policing and required knowledge is extended to the DECs joining the company.