PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Growing evidence that the downturn is upon us....
Old 9th Apr 2008, 23:16
student88

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Statement A - There's a lack of pilots.
Statement B - There's a lack of quality pilots.

Spot the difference?

The truth is theres lots of guys out there looking for jobs who just don't have what it takes to a) get a job or be desired by an airline and b) have the natural ability to fly an aircraft. I remember hearing a member of management of a certain Oxford based flight school saying "if you've got a drivers license we can teach you how to fly an airliner". It's just not right and actually quite a dangerous mentality to have. I have a friend who's been accepted into a flight school who I know just don't have what it takes to work for an airline in such an important position. In some cases there could be as many as 200 passengers (or customers as my company now likes to call them) sitting behind a low hour FO and countless civilians on the ground...

No amount of money can make someone a good pilot. My view is that learning to fly simply installs the processes, methods and exercises the ability to fly well. Any instructors reading will, I hope, agree with me that there are just some who've completely made a mistake pursuing this career. Although they've spent lots of money - I cant help but think that they're just clogging up the CV in tray for those low hour applicants who really should get the job.

I'm not saying that I'm right - it's just my view. I'm open to criticism.

S88