PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EASA planning to relax CPL requirement for instructors
Old 9th Apr 2008, 16:09
homeguard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Instructing Standards

The largest number of Instructors who hold a Frozen ATPL will, i'm sure, have only qualified as an FIr) in order to build hours cheaply toward a job with an airline. They may, just the same, be concientious and do the instructing well. Prior to the JAA formation during 1999 the majority of Instructors will have been PPLs with some being BCPLs.

Prior to the introduction of the BCPL all instructors operated on the PPL privilege and were paid. The cost of becoming an instructor has always been high. Prior to JAA an AFI had to renew by test every 24 months. To become a FI (QFI) the applied instruments instructing course (to teach the IMCr) had to be completed and then an upgrade to FI test passed. Not cheap. Payment for instructing was always expected/demanded. Allowing for inflation I suspect the instructing pay was no lower than it is now.

Continuity was greater than now. Part time instructors normally did a regular day each week. The hour builder required 700hrs pic and therefore would be available to a club for at least 18 months to 2 years. I have had three instructors leave to join an airline over the 6 months, having only worked for us for 3-5 months. This would be quite normal from what most other CFIs tell me. The current requirements are hardly providing continuity.

If anyone saids that a flying club can compete for their services with an airline on pay and prospects then they live in cuckoo land or they are lying!