PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Attn: Crew of QF189 YSSY-NZAA 07/04/2008
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2008, 07:24
LocoDriver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gotta have my say on this............
I was the CFI (chief flying instructor in the 152, NOT certified flying instructor)
BUT, most of my students think I have been certified by the men in white coats! (DONT answer that MattyJ!)

I take PPL's doing night endorsements into Auckland for approach and overshoot, so they get famil with Aucklands layout, reporting points etc, and radio work with a real live tower!- IF, they ever get fogged out of ardmore, and need to divert to Auckland, they know what to do.................

We had to orbit late downwind, to allow the Qantas 767 to land, thats when the hilarous comments started!

It must have been the first time in my life I was speechless!!

Mr 767 pilot, we didn't land, 'cause we didnt wont to show you up with a PERFECT 152 crosswind landing(17 knots in a 152 is no big deal, IF it is done correctly)- we saved a $50 landing fee anyway............

It was a quiet nite, the 767 pilot and the friendly efficient lady controller made the flight a total pleasure... hence me not thinking of a suitable comment! The 767 looked great, landing in the dark, as does auckland's several KM of runway.

I also do ATO's into Auckland in lighties, and the controllers are always excellent, and for my night sorties doing training, we time it for the quiet periods, sometimes even going on controlled night VFR cross countries, in a152/172/182 at 1am (NICE and quiet then!) that is also usually good for a laugh from controllers and the night freight lads!

Like to hear from the 767 pilots from that nite, send a PM to myself or thread starter, hopefully you are P Pruners!- like to meet for a coffee sometime!Cheers,