PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BO105 fatal accident back in 2006(?)
View Single Post
Old 9th Apr 2008, 06:00
Brian Abraham

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
when you climb out and turn downwind, does the rate of climb stay constant? What angle of bank are you using?
Angle of bank 30° (Ops Manual limit for passenger comfort) and yes, the ROC stays constant. Why would it not?
Try this ..fly straight and level at or below BROC turn downwind with 60°bank keep your airspeed and look at the performance of your aircraft. I bet that you have to bring the nose down to keep the airspeed where it was at the beginning. Is that a visual problem
Not a visual problem but an aircraft performance capability problem. I’d be extremely surprised if under the circumstances stated you didn’t have to drop the nose to maintain airspeed. Think of the basics. 60° angle of bank means you have doubled the “g” loading. Your R22 now weighs an effective 2,740 lbs, Jetranger 6,400 lbs, Bell 412 23,800 lbs. Remember the power required curve? Do you have the power available to provide for a doubling of the aircrafts weight? Highly unlikely, an empty 139, Puma or Blackhawk may have the capability, I don't know. To sustain the airspeed of course you then have to resort to gravity to make up the short fall in power (lower the nose).

To those still having trouble coming to grips, perhaps an illustration or two. A ram air parachute requires airspeed to remain inflated, and its BAD, BAD news should it deflate. Any problems turning up wind down wind? Absolutely none, and nothing can turn quicker than one of those babies. They are certainly affected by changes in airspeed due to gusts and care has to be taken in such conditions because they will collapse – as a BA 747 Captain found recently (lost his life).

You are in a jet at FL370 flying at 450 knots. You take a walk to the back and return to the front. Notice any difference to when you might do the same with the aircraft parked at the gate? Think of the jet as being the body of air in which you are flying and yourself as the aircraft flying in that body of air. Does the fact the body of air (jet) is moving at 450 knots influence the movement of anything (you) moving within that body? Plain as mud?
If turning from upwind to downwind is no problem and does not affect the aerodynamics and the helicopters performance, then we should all be ok with taking off downwind
You not a helicopter pilot I hope.