PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Desperately need help re. Florida flying
View Single Post
Old 18th Jan 2002, 17:18
bamboo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Desperately need help re. Florida flying

I know that this topic has been covered in some depth before, but I really need some advice.

Like some in a similar situation on this board, I'm nearing the end of my PPL, (need to do dual QXC, solo QXC, and skills test), and am sick and tired of waiting to complete for the following reasons:

1 weather
2 instructor availability (never around when either I'm off work, or the wx is nice!)

I also need to get a move on before any of my exams expire, so:- I'm thinking of going to America, (Florida part), and have been in touch with 3 schools out there already, but they don't seem to have answered my questions properly.

What I need to know is the following:

1 What are the differences in radio, and how long would it take to become aquatinted with them? - is it easier than ours, or just different?

2 I've heard that they do a lot of cross country trips either using NDBs or GPS, as opposed to DR - how accurate is this?

3. Apart from the FAA medical, (which I've already got), what other papers do you need to enter the US for flying training purposes, especially after Sept. 11th

4 I'm thinking of going sometime in Feb, would this be ok weather-wise in Florida?

5. Finally, if any of you have done this, especially at the later stages, what school would you recommend?

I want to get it done now as quickly as poss. and have been told by some schools to allow about 1 week to take familiarisation flights, (for location and radio), into consideration. Does this sound about right?

Sorry to prattle on, but this is an entirely new experience for me, so I don't want to make any costly mistakes.

any info greatly appreciated