PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Orlando to Key West
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2008, 21:02
gfunc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Orlando to Key West

Hi Folks,

It seems that just about everyone and his dog has been flying in Florida, so I'd thought that I would ask for some advice for my first trip down to there.

In early may I have a conference in Orlando, then the week after I am due to give a talk in Key West. Since I'm going to get mileage anyways I figured that I could rent a C172 and fly myself down (with the backup option of a rental car if the wx goes south.

First of I'm thinking of renting from Air Orlando at KORL - a quick search of the forum seems to suggest they are OK in a relative sense. Any words of warning out there?

Second of all using skyvector I've worked out a route following the east coast all the way down. I'm hoping to stay on the clear side of the sea breeze and be closer to people/boats rather than alligators if the donkey quits. It looks like the C172 could make it non-stop, but I'll take a refuel/defuel stop on the way - any recommendations? I'm think of Pompano Beach (KPMP) as a possible.

Does anyone have any tips about getting around or through Miami's airspace? It looks like you could get around/under the controlled stuff and still route down the coast, but I'll rather speak to someone and get permission to go where I would like.

The rest of the trip looks fairly straightforwards beside the balloon and eternal crosswind at KEYW and the return will be the opposite of the outbound.

I'm looking for any hints and tips people have!

Cheers,

Gareth.