PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do with new PPL?!
View Single Post
Old 20th Jan 2002, 22:13
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi AerBabe!

Everything everyone's said is good advice. Next time you get down to west London to visit me, we'll hopefully get some better weather than last time and I'll take you flying in the Cub - and I guarantee that the tail-wheel checkout will be the next thing you'll want to do after that!

Flying with other pilots is always really cool. You can share duties, so that one of you flies and the other navigates and handles the r/t - then swap over for the return. Also means that one of you can do the after-landing checklists while the other one begins to taxy back, as long as both of you are familiar with the type. A bit like flying airliners! But don't get into the habit of only flying with other pilots, or you'll lose the confidence in your ability to fly by yourself.

And, to give your flying a purpose, I like to arrange to meet someone at an airfield. Could be another pilot from another field - arrange to meet at a field half way between the two of you - or you could visit non-flying friends at their local airfield, and take them for a ride! (Have an idea of where you're going to take them beforehand though - flying without a proper plan of where you're going isn't too hard if you know the area, but once you get out of your local area it takes a lot of work.)

Now, on that last point, I was thinking it might be nice to have a PPRuNe Private Flying fly-in this spring - what do you guys think? I'm sure there's enough of us that any non-pilots on the forum, e.g. those of us still working towards the PPL, could get a ride with the pilots, so there should be no excuse for driving, unless the weather is too bad to fly!

I'm quite happy to arrange something in south-east England if there's enough interest, but I can't start arranging it for 2 weeks, because I'm out of the country at the moment and don't have any UK charts or airfield guides with me... But if more than a couple of people are interested, I'll start a new thread going.

Whatever you do, though - have fun!!!

FFF
-----------