PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - LH3431 B737 lightning strike?
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2008, 18:08
steelfo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sharing

Of course I am willing to share my experience. I have told the short story but right now I am having problems with flashbacks. The actual flying part is not the big problem but the flashback of the peoples reaction and panic and most of all my own thoughts and feeling are the worst. It gets better and better so i hope everything turns out good.
What really pisses me off is that i feel that Lufthansa is trying to "smothen" up the incident. Like they are trying to say that this was not that bad.... Well... I cant as a normal passanger tell how bad it was by seeing the pictures (that I know is the right ones because the captain showed us on his mobile phone). So... today we got an offical statement from Lufthansa that shortly tells:
"...hit by lightning shortly after take-off. The captain was handling this by the Lufthansa strict manual and called an emergency landing so that he could immidiately could go back to Sofia. Every captains is trained on this in a simulator. For you as passangers I have no doubt that this was seen as dramatic, but we have to say that there never was a danger for neither the passangers, the rest of the people on board or the aircraft. After landing it was obtained damages on the left hight-? and therefore the aircraft could not be in traffic before this was repared by technicians"

The problem is that the captain told us that he to was afraid, and this was nothing near what they had trained on in a simulator because this was to severe. He had no idea what caused the "shaking" and turbulence before he was on the ground.

So I have some questions:
1. What could have happened if not the part that was causing the shaking was thorn away? I have to say that it had to be very hard to control the aircraft in such a turbulence. How long could the aircraft stand such turbulence before it affected other parts/instruments?
2. How bad was it for you expert that has seen the pictures? Are they trying to make this better then it was? Or am I just to "close" the incident to see things clear?
3. How crusual are the part that was hit and how difficult is it to fly without it?
4. Shouldnt this be more official than it is?

Just some questions from me.

If you have any more questions about the incident dont hesitate to contact me.

Best regards
Steelfo