PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Cessna 172
Thread: The Cessna 172
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2008, 17:27
bobdee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just in the process of converting to a 172. Have about 100 hours on a 152 and converted to a PA28 in around three hours.
Personally I find the 172 quite different from the 152 and PA28. Certainly seems a big beast and at the moment precision, consistant landings are still eluding me. A slight complication is that I am doing this in France and my Flying Instructor's lack of English and my poor but improving French isnt helping.
I have had two different instructors and one uses flap 30 and the other flap 40 for landings. This particular aircraft has a flap up/down control with an associated meter to indicate the actual flap position. Its a distraction to have to glance at the meter to check the actual flap progress.
Quite a significant back pull is needed for the initial flare (less if trimmed correctly) but once the flare is intiated, I find it necessary to reduce the pull back to check the flare and then increase it again to keep the nose wheel up. A sort of two stage movement.
Landing into a strong headwind can be challenging as the AC seems to want to float for ever. Its all down to experience or in my case lack of it. Its really hard for someone who has hundreds of hours on a particular type to transfer this to a novice on type, in a few hours.
I have really grown to like this super bus, and I will sort it!