PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 1250 for Retired Personnel
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2008, 16:47
Monty77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Zoom

It's a one-way street. Wrong, I know. Lakenheath and Mildenhall are examples of how the military should treat their personnel abroad, and accurately reflects how the U.S looks after its' personnel. It shames the rest of NATO into er, shame. If I was U.S. mil on tour in Europe, I would plug into US bases, as they are far better, and let's face it, rattle accommodation at, say Cottesmore, is not impressive, even if you do get past the civvy jobsworth on the gate with your U.S. ID.

During my time in, I always tried the best I could to make things good for visiting NATO mates, as it always embarrassed me how badly we hosted foreign mates. And how well they looked after us Brits when in their countries. Moosejaw will always remain a two week blur!

The worst example I recall was when I met two Belgian helicopter pilots in the bar of Lydd Airport, Kent. They were waiting for a 3 day fog to clear in Belgium. They flew to Lydd (civvy) in disgust from Portsmouth(mil), I believe, because a Navy Lt Cdr objected to their 'rig' (flying suits) in the bar of the Mess (Wardroom). They were stranded aircrew for f*ck's sake. Yet Navy mate insisted rules were rules. To be fair, the Fleet Air Arm on hand had tried to make amends, to no avail. I actually gave them cash and said sorry.

Doubtless the same pair are trying it on at say, Southend, as we speak, but I doubt it.