PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BO105 fatal accident back in 2006(?)
View Single Post
Old 8th Apr 2008, 16:30
DennisK

Location: Kings Caple, Ross-on-Wye.orPiccots End. Hertfordshire
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B 105 Handling

Thanks guys for all the viewpoints, notes and handling experiences being put forward ... if nothing else, it has certainly exercised my brain for a while.

I feel that the major point that emerges from the Hoffman accident, is that with the quoted 98 degree banking angle, any vertical thrust from the M/R could only accelerate the machine further into its steep descent.

My standard display sequence does include a loop, but when I was first shown the manoeuvre in the 1970s, by a former world champion, he made it 1000% clear that at the highest point, the collective lever must be fully down and with a minimum 'gate' speed well above translation lift if the manoeuvre is to be continued. If not and with adequate height, it is a simple manoeuvre to 'duck out.'

I do understand that there is a body of opinion out here that absolutely disagrees with any helicopter display manoeuvres. Having flown a little over 1200 public displays in half a dozen types over thirty years, I mildly take the opposite view - that with the right training and proper understanding, display flying should stay as an exciting part of our industry and used to demonstrate the capabilities of the helicopter ... but having said that, I'm always listening to the other guys who take the reverse view.

Safe flying to all,

Dennis K