PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Simultaneous LAndings on Crossing Runways
Old 8th Apr 2008, 14:57
Z10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have been working at ENZV in Norway earlier, which has two intersection runways 11/29 and 18/36.

One thing is to issue "cleared to land rwy 18, hold short of rwy 11".. but what do you if the first one has a braking problem - or as stated here, execute a go-around?

First of all, you don't want two aircrafts to even theoretically be at the same point/position at any given time. That is good safety practice. so what we did was make sure there was some spacing between them (if you're working in the tower, you're allowed to use visual separation - as long as you can assure that two aircraft won't hit each other, you decide the separation in.. well.. meters if you really want).

so how I did it was:
aircraft-a: "cleared to land rwy 18, expect to hold short of intersecting rwy 11"
and then.. as soon as it was on the ground, and slowing down, I issued the instruction to "hold short of rwy 11", and then issued cleared to land for number 2 on the crossing runway.

worth to mention is that in Norway (maybe all countries using ICAO) you're not allowed to issue a landing clearance for number 2 before "number 1 has passed the rwy threshold and it is certain that it will vacate the runway prior to number 2 is over the threshold" - unlike FAA-rules where you can be issued "cleared to land as number 5" or something like that.