PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Light plane missing in blizzard in Scotland (Merged)
Old 8th Apr 2008, 13:47
DX Wombat

Location: The Burrow, N53:48:02 W1:48:57, The Tin Tent - EGBS, EGBO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1 - A pilot with no IR (or previous crossing experience) would be planning a transatlantic trip (maybe he was meeting a ferry pilot in Wick)
That is quite an erroneous conclusion to come to. I was at EGBO when Gary returned with an aircraft he had just ferried over from the USA. I think it was one of two which later bore a personalised registration. On that occasion he flew via Iceland and Wick.
(assuming no change of ownership since a 2005 incident)
The aircraft involved at the weekend didn't belong to Gary, it belonged to Bernie Gomez former engineer at EGBO. I agree wholeheartedly with Moggiee's statement:
I knew the pilot, and I liked him - we would chat and pass the time of day, even if we were not "mates" as such. I therefore have no particular desire to criticise him. However, I also knew him well enough to know that he was a risk taker and that I am not alone in thinking that there was a certain inevitability to this sad event.
I shall miss seeing Gary around HGFC, he always found time simply to pass the time of day with those he knew. RIP.